"This is an improved version of the Alabama state flag, which is currently just a plain red saltire on a white field. Each element represents one of the countries that Alabama has belonged to, and thus the flag as a whole represents Alabama's history.
The symbolism is as follows:
- Fleur-de-lis: France (1702-1763)
- White field: Britain (1763-1780)
- Red saltire: Spain (1780-1810)
- White star: United States (1810-1861, 1868-present)
- Blue saltire: Confederated States (1861-1868)"
Appears on these pages
The current flag of Alabama was adopted by the state legislature on February 16, 1895...